Thursday, February 14, 2008

Words and Phrases I am, like, so tired of hearing!

Sorry for this posting, but the curmudgeon in me just won't be quieted. The following are words and phrases I am extremely tired of hearing.

1. We need to think out of the box. If people really want to get out of the box, they should learn a new metaphor.

2. We need to rethink our entire paradigm. Thank Stephen Covey for this one. Most people who use this phrase couldn't even give a cohesive definition of the word paradigm.

3. People who don't know the difference between "Your" and "You're" I mean, how hard is it to remember? Likewise, those who can't tell which "There" to use. Don't good grammar matter no more?

4. Sherbert… this one has bothered me for a long time, but now this adulterated spelling of "sherbet" is even in the dictionary! Thanks, Cynthia, for reminding me.

5. Any time I hear an ad that says, "Savings up to 50-, 60-, even 70% and more!" Emily reminded us of this one.

6. Confusing "less" and "fewer." Hearing things like, "50% less calories than the other brand" makes me homocidal! Here is the rule of thumb: Less is used to speak of things you measure; fewer refers to things you count. Clear enough? Let's have less confusion, and we'll make fewer mistakes.

7. Valley Girl speak. This includes the interminable use of "like" and phrases meant to substitute for the word 'said' such as , "I'm all," "We're like," and "He goes." Included in this category are people who end their declarative sentences by raising their intonation at the end so that everything sounds like a question. What Ev!

8. Overuse of the word 'so' as in, "I am SO not hungry right now!" "You are SO not going to the movies!" etc. This relates to the overuse of 'very,' which most editors will tell you is an unnecessary word. Mark Twain once said that every time you feel like writing 'very' you should substitute the word 'damn.' He said that if you go back later and remove all the 'damns' your writing will be just as good and clearer to read.

9. Irregardless. Oooooh! This one has bugged me since 1st grade, when I first discovered that I was a nerd in the making. I mean, really - caring about the proper use of language in 1st grade? There ain't no such word as irregardless.

10. I could care less. What you mean is, you couldn't care less. Saying you could care less means that you do, indeed, care, which is the opposite of what you are trying to communicate.

I would love to get feedback on this one from, like, you know, the people who read this blog (if they exist). I will include their comments as they come in.

2 comments:

Cynthia Gibbons said...

I never realized just how much alike we are! I get homicidal when I hear anyone say sherbert. Love you!
Cynthia

Geoff and Emily said...

The one I hate is "up to %50 off, or more!" I hear that one all the time in commercials. I also hate it when people say 6:00 a.m. in the morning. I was glad they clarified because I was thinking about the 6:00 a.m. in the evening! I know there are others, but I am SO not thinking right now! And, by the way, I can't believe Cynthia didn't know how alike you guys were... what's that about?! Love you guys!
Emily