Monday, April 7, 2008

Good News

I didn't tell anyone in the family except my Dad and Mom, but two weeks ago I had a prostate biopsy. Last time we were in Mesa, I had my Dad give me a blessing, prior to the biopsy. My PSA levels were high enough that Dr. Copeland thought there was a 50-50 chance that I had prostate cancer. So I went in for the biopsy. I won't tell you what that entails, but I will say that it isn't the slightest bit pleasant. He took a LOT of samples.

Anyway, today I got my results. No cancer. Just "chronic and acute inflammation." That means I have to take "a boat-load of antibiotics and Motrin" (Dr. Copeland's words - at least I think he said boat-load) for the next month, then get another PSA test. The previous doctor just accepted the fact that "high PSA levels is where you live," and let it go at that. This doctor wants to get rid of the inflammation.

I will admit to being more than a little relieved when I left the doctor's office this afternoon. A little good news goes a long way, and I may even sleep better tonight. I wasn't quite ready for what prostate cancer involves.

2 comments:

The Crider Clan said...

I've definately been praying for you dad! Mom told me and said not to say anything to anyone else...so I've been praying in behalf of all my siblings...so glad to hear you are alright! We love you so much!!! I hope you know that!

Love, Melissa

Unknown said...

I'm glad that you are alright. Thanks for the link to your blog. I start every morning this way!