Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Ultimate Food!

There seems to be some argument as to whether or not man can live by bread alone. But I’ll bet you’ve never heard that accusation leveled against strawberry rhubarb pie. There’s a reason for this.

Think about it. You’ve got fruit – the fresh, luscious strawberries. Then there’s rhubarb, a fibrous vegetable, almost inedible raw. Your dairy group is well represented in the crust (if made correctly), in the form of copious quantities of butter. Plus you have, of course, wheat. Wheat is good for you.

So you have fruit, veggies, dairy, grains and fiber all brought together, miraculously, into the most sublime taste experience imaginable. If it hasn’t been done yet, I would like to officially nominate strawberry rhubarb pie for the title of The Ultimate Food.

I remember well where I was sitting the first time I tasted strawberry rhubarb pie. I was at the home of my friend, Jim Pribbeno, on Gilbert Rd north of McKellips, almost to the river bottom. His Mom offered me a piece of this pie I had never heard of. I have always been willing to try new foods (within reason), so even though I had no expectations, I accepted. Oh My! It was pure heaven.

Years passed before I had another experience with the ultimate food. This time Jan and I were at Pres and Bobbie's house in Fredonia. I forget what the occasion was. Anyway, Bobbie had made strawberry rhubarb pie. Jan had heard me talk of it, and didn't think it would taste good, but I encouraged her to try it. It was truly love at first bite. Knowing that I was married to what would become the world's best pie maker, I got Jan to ask Bobbie for the recipe. That was one of the smartest things I ever did in my life.

Over the years, Jan has made a lot of wonderful pies of all sorts. But she knows that my favorite now and forever is strawberry rhubarb - that king of foods, The Ultimate Food. I know at least one son-in-law who would agree.

Another wonderful treat is to save the sauce that is formed from cooking the strawberries and rhubarb and sugar together, and serving it over vanilla ice cream. If the pie doesn't finish you off, this will. Indescribably delicious!

(Now I have to see if I can talk her into making me one. Writing this has made me very hungry for Strawberry Rhubarb Pie!)

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Ha! Dad this made me laugh really hard. It is an amazing pie though. I would have to agree. I hope Mom makes you one soon so you can satisfy your craving! So much for living on crackers right? Love you guys!

Unknown said...

After reading this post I had to go out and check my rhubarb! Not quite ready, but soon.