Sunday, May 18, 2008

Howdy, Howdy


I guess it has been too long since I posted anything, and I am feeling serious blogguilt. I have been working on transcribing a talk I heard on BYU-TV for which no transcript was available. It is a long and tedious task, but I hope it will be worth it in the end.

On Monday, May 5 I got to go to X Diamond Ranch near South Fork (near Eagar) to play host to a bunch of Germans who were here learning about the West. The Arizona Office of Tourism asked me to come because I speak a little German, and they thought that would be useful. So I put on my best cowboy duds and went to the ranch. I had a great time talking to them (most of them spoke better English than I spoke German, but who cared?). They asked what I did for a living, and together we figured out that my title in German is Finanzminister. Boy, were they excited that someone of my lofty station in life would deign to visit with them. I guess a Finanzminister is a high and lofty station in Germany. There was a copy of a book on Lee's Ferry there at the ranch, so I showed them a picture of my great-great grandfather, Warren Marshall Johnson, and that really impressed them. I was obviously eine echte Cowboy, born and raised in the Old West. It was a lot of fun.

We have been so happy to have Grandpa and Grandma Brooksby here with us for the last couple of days. The weather has been beautiful and cool without being cold, and we have just had a blast. We introduced them to "Apples to Apples" and we watched "Amazing Grace" together last night. By the way, if anyone has not seen that film yet, you should.

More later. I promise to be more diligent in writing. Till then, Adios, pardners!

3 comments:

Geoff and Emily said...

Yea, Dad! I keep checking for a new post, so I am glad to see one. You should dress like a cowboy more often and let people think you are a real VIP; I am sure it does great things for your self-esteem! It sounds like a lot of fun! P.S. You are a real VIP to ME!

Unknown said...

You make a good Cowboy! It must be in your blood or something.

The Crider Clan said...

I was gonna say that you look great as a cowboy too! Thanks for finally posting something! You may not think that we check or care...but as you can see...atleast Emily and I check and care! Love you finizminister...or whatever that word was!

Melissa