Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

Today was too lovely to be believed. At 11:00, it was 60 degrees outside! I was outside in a T-shirt with my iron bar and shovel, trying to break up the ice from our driveway so we won't slip and slide every time we go to the car. Around 1:30, Melissa and Brad and the kids, along with Jay and Lecia and their kids arrived to play in the snow. The kids wasted no time in running into the front yard to play. Tomorrow they are going up the the old Sunrise along Hwy 260 to sled and play all day. They planned to stay at Hiatt's house up here, and after hours of shoveling and packing, they succeeded in getting into the driveway. We'll see if they can get out tomorrow!

Happy New Year to any readers. This year will either be much better than last year, or the end of civilization as we know it. Either way, it should be quite an adventure.

I have been reading "The 5,000 Year Leap" by Cleon Skousen. I recommend it to everyone. It will really open your eyes to the meaning of the Constitution and it will show you just how far we have come from what the Founders intended. I am also reading "Liberal Fascism" by Jonah Goldberg. It is really worth reading, too.

Keeping the Town afloat financally is getting to be a lot like banging my thumbs over and over and over again with a hammer. People have gotten so used to buying whatever they want or "need" whenever they want or "need" it, they can't seem to understand what "we are out of money" means. I might just as well be rubbing a cheese grater against my forehead. But I am grateful to have a job, I truly am.

We will be breaking ground this month for the foundations of our home addition. That garage would really have come in handy already this winter, with all the snow we have had. Global warming, indeed! Our high last Saturday was 22 degrees. Balmy!

That's enough random posting for one night.

2 comments:

Brea said...

Jan!!! hello... Oh I am so glad I found your blog! Brint, me, Aryn and her boyfriend Sean are going up to Pinetop this weekend to go snowboarding. We are staying at Gma and Gpa Hiatt's house. My first time in Pinetop! AHhh... Woo-hoo! We were going to try and stop by and say hello. :)
see ya soon...
Brea

Lecia said...

I just wanted to thank you so much for having us up to play in the snow. The cooking was great and the company even better. Thanks for making us feel so welcome!