Sunday, March 22, 2009

Wha, Pilgrim!


Well, I am back from the 2009 Mountain Man Rendezvous, and it was really fun! The turnout was a little low - only about 800 boys - but those who came really had a great time. I spent Wednesday through noon Saturday with six of the best Dutch oven cooks in Arizona. (That's me in the center of the picture) I didn't really belong there, not being much of a DO cook myself, but I did learn a lot.


I saw many old Scouting friends, including a couple of men who I had helped through Woodbadge 10 years ago, and another who I served with on Woodbadge. I got to be a judge in a Dutch oven cookoff using the secret ingredient of Vienna sausages (oh, boy! They are so good fried!). The boys could use them in a main dish (lots of Vienna sausage stews), a bread (yes, they baked them into a bread), or even a dessert. It is hard to believe, but I ate some pretty tasty desserts Friday night with those sausages in them, including peach cobbler and a couple of chocolate pudding cakes. My favorite was called Vienna mincemeat pie. It was really good! Mushed up Vienna sausages with raisins and other mincemeat ingredients, and deep fried as individual pies. One troop brought their entry (5-Meat Stew, made with javelina, elk, venison, quail, and Vienna sausage) to us in a big milk can along with a 6 foot pig trough lined with aluminum foil. They were going to pour the entire thing into that trough on our table, but we convinced them that we were eating the entries of 10 different troops, and that we could only take tastes of their entry. We couldn't eat an entire trough full of 5-Meat Stew.

I got home Saturday about 12:40, and by 12:45 Jan had shaved my beard off. I looked younger with all that grey beard gone, but now I look kind of funny to me - like there is something missing from my face. I may have to grow it back. We'll see if my grandkids prefer Grandpa with a beard or without. So what do you think, grandkids? Do you want me to have a beard, or not?

6 comments:

John and Anna said...

Maybe you could try the beard again in a year or two after it turns pure white. Then kids will come to you all year long and tell you what you want for Christmas!

The Crider Clan said...

I vote for "not"! Susannah votes for no beard too! Owen says he likes you to not have a beard! That's three against! Plus, you are way too skinny to be Santa!

Geoff and Emily said...

I thought my kids were going to cry when they saw the picture of you on here. I guess I never showed them the one you emailed me. Jackson thought it was funny/scary but definitely says he wants his old papa back. Natalie and Staci couldn't stop laughing, but said they wanted you to shave it. Geoff says grow it back.

Geoff and Emily said...

P.S. those Vienna Sausage meals make we want to vomit... no offense.

Unknown said...

I like the beard, but it does age you. It sounds like you had fun! I agree with Emily about the food, though.

Unknown said...

Hi, I'm writing you back about Trevin's laundry detergent, but I'd like to say - nice beard! I almost didn't recognize you. Trev has nothing but milk jugs to put the detergent in, but it seems like if they weren't getting any direct sunlight they should store okay. Or, if you have any empty laundry jugs he could refill those too. I'll let you know as soon as Melissa and I have finished off 10 gallons of milk! Drink, Melissa, drink! Let me know next time you're in town, we'll hook you up.