Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

Just a couple of thoughts on this Mother's Day. It has been a quite Mother's Day here. Jan had to eat my cooking, but she forgives me because she knows I mean well.

I know a few women who hate to go to church on Mother's Day because they can't relate to all the talk about perfect mothers, knowing that they are not perfect. I have just one thing to say about that - DUH! Of course you're not perfect. Who is? No one I have ever known.

Here is what I think makes a perfect mother. The perfect mother loves her children and makes them feel safe at home. She gives a refuge from the storms of life because no matter what else is happening in the world, they know that My Mom Loves Me. That basic foundation is the mortar that holds civilization together.

That's it. If you love and nurture your children (and who else would?), you are a perfect mother for those children. Did you give birth to them? Doesn't matter if they are loved and they know they are loved. Do your children recognize all you have done and continue to do for them? Maybe not, but I faith that someday they will. There is nothing sadder to me than seeing a grown man or woman who does not absolutely adore his/her mother. To me, it is evidence of a major character flaw in the child.

So mothers, keep up the perfect work. You are not individually perfect, but the importance of what you do every day cannot be measured, or perhaps fully appreciated. I am so grateful to God for the mother He gave me, for the example she continues to set for me and my posterity, and for the mother of my children He led me to. I could not have better examples of perfect motherhood than the ones I have.

Thank you.

1 comment:

The Crider Clan said...

That was a lovely post, dad! I love you!