Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Hiatt Reunion



I think the picture says it all. The annual Rudge and Ruth Hiatt reunion is a kid's paradise where children can play with lots of other children and eat Red Vines all day. Seriously, what a blessing it is in our lives to be part of this wonderful family. This family has been a source of strength to us and our posterity, and we hope we have been a source of strength in their lives, too. This year was harder than usual because so many of our grandkids had been, or were, very sick.

It is always a bit of a challenge, finding sleeping places for 162 people (and growing), but the effort is well worth it. There is no one in that vast crowd that does not love and support every other person in the family - even those that are not blood related. Often our Japanese friend Shinji shows up because we all love him, too. We miss everyone who doesn't come. The Hiatt's have built a family that hangs together because we want to, and that strength comes from a temple going posterity. Mom and Dad aren't able physically anymore, but their posterity keeps going.

The high point of the reunion for me is always the Sunday family meeting. This year was special because I got to participate in giving my father-in-law a blessing after his difficult week. When the meeting was over, Emily told me that Jackson had never seen anyone get a blessing, and he wanted to know if it would be OK for him to get a blessing, too (he had been sick most of the week). I was so pleased to know that Jackson would seek out a priesthood blessing. We went upstairs in the cabin where John and I gave Jackson a blessing. We then gave Emily a blessing too, after her very difficult weeks of sick kids. When we went downstairs, we found out that Lydia had come down with what was going around, so Brad and I gave her a blessing. She recovered almost immediately. Having the opportunity to use the priesthood to bless four beloved members of my family in one morning makes this a reunion I will long remember.

Thank you, Mom and Dad Hiatt, for raising such a special family!

2 comments:

The Crider Clan said...

classic, dad! i'm sure natalie will really appreciate you taking that picture when she is old enough to be embarrassed about it! it really is a kid's dream come true at the reunion!

Geoff and Emily said...

Ummm.... she is already old enough to be embarrassed about it! She was with me when I was reading this post, and she kept saying, "Papa should not have taken my picture - I look HORRIBLE!" I think she may laugh about it when she is an adult, but she's not laughing now!