Tuesday, July 28, 2009

An Old Friend Found!

Ever since I returned home from Germany in 1972, I have been trying to make contact with one of my old companions, Christian D Roode from South Africa. I have inquired about him with every missionary returning from there; I have Googled his name; I have posted queries on the Internet - everything I could think of. All to no avail.

Saturday, July 25th, 2009, I got a phone message from someone I have never met, telling me of Br. Roode's whereabouts. This young man had been looking at the South Germany/Austria website (don't know why) and saw that I was looking for Christian D. Roode. He phoned to tell me Br. Roode lives in Las Vegas and he gave me his phone number and address. So last night, almost 38 years after I last spoke with him, I called him. He was so surprised! It was so nice to hear my old friend's voice again. He has lived in the US for years, teaching music to elementary school children. They must have a lot of fun in his class - he is a hoot!

What an enjoyable evening. I will have to look him up next time I am in Las Vegas.

3 comments:

The Crider Clan said...

That's so cool dad! Good for you for not giving up on that! I bet it brought him a lot of joy to know that you remember him fondly and still think enough of him to try so hard to find him!

Geoff and Emily said...

What a great story, Dad! I am glad you found him! It is always so nice to know someone cares enough to get back in touch. It's also nice to know that the person you were searching for actually remembers you, too!

brxb said...

That's funny -- I have been doing the same thing, just lately, and have reconnected with two companions I haven't talked to in 33 years. (One of them, the National Guard of Nevada helped me find!) I have more I am looking for. Even if you only talk for 10 minutes, it is good to reconnect!