Saturday, June 28, 2008

Counsel for my Grandchildren

I was looking for some pictures for my Primary class, studying Alma 37:35-37, and I came upon a couple of pictures of little kids reading the scriptures.

Both of the blogsites I looked at talked about how their little children are learning to read by reading the scriptures. It reminded me of how early Andrea learned to read, largely because we read the scriptures and she wanted to help. I hope and pray that my grandkids are learning to read the scriptures daily. I was not raised in a home that read the scriptures every day [the Church did not emphasize it back then], and it has been a struggle for me every day of my life. As I have seen the world collapsing around us, and because I know it will continue to collapse into more and more wickedness, I cannot overemphasize the importance of daily scripture reading and daily family prayer. If you think your children will be adequately armed to face the adversary without those two things, you are mistaken. They must be prepared better than you were, so you must do better than I did as a parent to prepare them. Do not fail in this sacred responsibility. The stakes are too high.

Please excuse me for preaching what I have not adequately practiced. I love every single person in my posterity, and I shudder to think of any of them wandering into forbidden paths and getting lost. No matter what it takes, teach them to read and ponder the scriptures and to pray meaningfully. Oh, and one other thing: I would rather have pictures of my own grandkids reading the scriptures than pictures of total strangers (hint, hint).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember reading scriptures to my mom when I was very young. She would lay down for a "nap" and I would read outloud to her. I probably messed up the names, but it has been a good memory anyway.

The Crider Clan said...

I just started reading from the Book of Mormon with the kids before we have our family prayer at night. I thought they would get nothing from it, and it would be a waste of time. But when I put it into practice, they really embraced it, and I know it is teaching them to feel the spirit, and recognize the language of the scriptures. They are also seeing that Brad and I know it is important. I know how important it is...and I am trying my best to give them all the tools they need to stay strong in these trying times. Thanks mom and dad for showing me what is important to you, as I was growing up, and still today. And dad, you are right to preach to us. We may be adults, but you have much more wisdom than we do, and can see things that we are too caught up in daily duties to see. I for one look to you for guidance, and I am glad you are willing to help us stay on the straight and narrow path. I love you!

Melissa