Thursday, June 5, 2008

I are a Good Essayist!

One of the joys of my job is that every year I get asked by the VFW to judge essays in the "Patriots Pen" contest they hold nationwide. This contest is for kids from 5th grade to 7th grade. They are given a theme like, "What Service to my Country Means to Me" and away they go. Every year I sit down and read hundreds of these - no exaggeration here. Here are some of my past favorite sentences.

1. "The schools and teachers are the ones that means to me because I wouldn't be smart right now."

2. "Love means to in the service of our country means to me is loving our country your pride and the people in war." (???)

3. "The country of America is bright, glamorous, free, and glittery."

And my all-time favorite to date:

4. "In World War II, my grandfather was a tail gator on an air plan."

Reading these, I can hardly wait till next Spring.

3 comments:

The Crider Clan said...

Judging these essays is either torture in the highest form or a real high getting to mark all those crazy sentences with a red pen!!! You tell me which one! In any case...you must be looking forward to those same kids running our "glittery" country in the future! Are they all Blue Ridge kids? I are happie that I are having you to teached me how to be a smart!

Melissa

Geoff and Emily said...

I were gonna make a word on your comment, but I ain't got no funny thing to said.

Unknown said...

They sound sort of like the Miss America answers!