Sunday, June 1, 2008

Out of the Mouth of Babes

I have been reviewing my Humor Journal this week, and I wanted to share some of the gems I have recorded that originated from the mouths of my grandchildren. I would LOVE IT if their parents would send me more of these golden quotes for my collection.

1. Emily sent me this one in December 2004. "We are still trying to get Jackson completely potty trained. He is only willing to sit on the toilet if he wants to - and if he doesn't want to you better believe we bribe him. A couple of days ago we told him that if he would go #2 in the potty we would take him to Chucky Cheese that night. We don't buy pizza; just get some tokens and play a few games. Jackson loves Chucky Cheese (as he puts it, "Chucky Cheese is a good guy, huh, Mommy?"), so he was sitting on the potty just crying and crying because he couldn't go #2 and he was "never going to see Chucky Cheese again!" Later he said that he would go #2 in the potty when he was older, "like when I'm a missionary, OK, Mom?"

2. Jackson bumped his head on the couch and was crying. Emily asked him if he was going to have a goose egg on his head. He replied, "No, I'm just going to have a little chicken egg."

3. One day I was talking with Jackson about one of his two favorite subjects at the time - sharks (the other one was dinosaurs). We were talking about how some sharks eat people. He looked at me and said, "Papa, I don't think a shark would eat you." When I asked him why he thought that, he replied, "Your skin is too old!"

4. Christmas time, 2007 we were talking on the phone with Melissa when she suddenly burst into laughter. It turns out Susannah had been bugging Owen, so Melissa had asked her to stop pestering her brother. Susannah scowled (boy, can she scowl), put her hands on her hips, and said, "This family just isn't working out for me!"

I have a few more that I haven't included. But I would love to add to my collection. So, parents, please… send them in!

2 comments:

Geoff and Emily said...

Thanks for writing those down, Dad! It is funny how you think you will never forget what they say, and then you just do! I didn't remember any of the things you wrote there... until I read them, and then I did. I will have to think about it and see if I can remember any more. Love you!
Emily

The Crider Clan said...

Two nights ago, when I was trying to get the kids to bed, Owen came in to the kitchen where Brad and I were. This was the conversation:

Owen-"Susannah said I strat you"

Me- "What?"

Owen-"Susannah said I strat you so she can get another chocolate pudding."

Brad- "What?"

Me(laughing)- "Susannah told you to distract us so she could sneak in the fridge and get a pudding, Owen?"

Owen(laughing)- "Yeah, we want another chocolate pudding, but don't see us!"